2020 Alabama Computer Science Summer Camps
CANCELED: We regret that the Summer 2020 camps have been canceled due to health concerns and the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
The University of Alabama Department of Computer Science within the College of Engineering has hosted a series of Computer Science camps each summer.
For Summer 2020, we will offer one week of camp (commuter or residential dorm) for high school students (rising 10th through 12th graders). Students will be taught multiple topics of Computer Science while learning to program in several exciting contexts. The Computer Science camps are taught by UA Computer Science faculty in a manner that encourages self-exploration across multiple projects.
- In 2020, we will not be offering a middle school camp (we have a large teacher training effort in Summer 2020).
- We will offer a high school camp during June 8-12, 2020.
*** Application for the 2020 high school computer science summer camp is available here. ***
The 2020 camp flyer is availabe here.
Please write to email@example.com for more information.
Camps are open to students from all regions of the United States. We also welcome applications from international students. Previous camps hosted students from 17 states, as well as Hong Kong and Beijing.
All camps are taught by UA faculty and staff in our College of Engineering classrooms.
Both commuter and dorm-based options are available. Those students from outside of the Tuscaloosa area may reside in our dorms throughout the week (high school camps only).
In the past, some parents have also stayed in local hotels with their children if that is preferred.
The camps begin at 9am and end at 3:30pm each day of the week. Students will be given an hour lunch break with planned social events for those staying in our dorms.
Seating restricted to 40 students per week; please apply early!
Students will bring their own laptops to use throughout the week. PC or Mac is appropriate. Please make sure to also bring a charger. We will have power outlets available at each seat. Laptops should have a wifi adapter. If possible, an ethernet port would be helpful (just in case we have any wifi issues), but not required). For middle school camp, an ability to connect to a micro-USB device is needed.
Camp fees for High school are: $400 for commuting students (5 lunches, camp instruction, and tshirt/bag), and $600 for dorm students (14 meals, 5 nights lodging, camp instruction, and tshirt/bag).
Below are the topics covered in the high school camp:
- June 8-12, 2020: High School - Introduction to Programming with Java
Additional details are available at Topics/Teachers.
Other Events in the UA CS Department
- On April 4, 2020, the Department of Computer Science will host our annual robotics competition for all Alabama schools across all grade levels. More information about the 2020 Robotics Competition is available here.
- On April 25, 2020, the Department of Computer Science also hosted our annual NCWIT Aspirations banquet, will awarded 93 high school young women (with their teachers and parents) who have aspirations in computer science. Please check out the North Alabama NCWIT Chapter for more details.
We gratefully acknowledge the following sponsors for providing support to the Computer Science Summer Camps: